Brandenburg Gate Tor and Luisenplatz
In the second baroque town expansion first Potsdam Brandenburg Gate was built in 1733. The road leading to the town of Brandenburg began on the outer square in front of the gate.
After the seven years war, Frederick the great also through a new magnificent triumphal arch at the entrance to the garrison town wanted to symbolize the rise of Prussia in the series of the European great powers. Consequently Carl von Gontard and his pupil Georg Christian Unger designed 1770/71 the new gate modeled on a Roman triumphal arch.
The place at the Brandenburg Gate, the Luisenplatz, 1744 under Friedrich II. applied was planted until 1854 by P. J. Lenné.
In 1939, the square was paved to create a parking place. The new construction included in 1999-2000 an underground car park, the planting of rows of Linden and the installation of a fountain in the middle of the square.
Distance from Hotel: 6,2 km