The New Palais in Sanssouci is the last and at the same time most comprehensive architectural creation of the 18th century in the Park. While the single-storey vineyard Castle Sanssouci served the preferences and needs of Frederick II., was this huge castle building to accommodate Royal guests for occasional stays in Potsdam. Immediately after the end of the seven years war in 1763 started in construction, the costly project of the world should prove at the same time that the Prussian State was not even after the three Silesian wars at the end of his tether. According to the plans of J. G. Büring (1723-after 1788), H. L. Manger (1728-1790), C. von GONTARD (1731-1791) and J. L. Geay (c. 1710 until after 1786), the New Palais and the corresponding Communs with the Colonnade were completed in 1769 after only seven years.
In the main building, which is divided by pilasters, connecting all three floors and its wing form a Court of honour, on the side of side fronts join. A little on the side extensions each answer of the dome on the central block.
According to his destiny as the Royal guest Palace is the new Palace inside in individual apartments, which can be accessed via four staircases. To get large, richly appointed banquet halls and galleries, which are located in the central building, and a castle theatre in the southern wing.
In the 19th century, the new palace was initially only occasionally inhabited and used mostly for big celebrations of the Royal family, and theater performances. Prince Friedrich Wilhelm, the later emperor Friedrich III, was born in 1831. After his marriage to the English Princess Royal Victoria they were assigned to the New Palais at his own request from 1859 as a summer residence. During the short reign of the 99 days Emperor until his death in June 1888, the new Palace got its name "Castle Friedrichskron".
From 1889 until the abdication of the German monarchy in 1918, the Castle remained the preferred residence of Kaiser Wilhelm II.
Distance from hotel: 5.2 km